A simple pose does not mean it's easy or uncomplicated, and that is certainly the case with Warrior 2 pose in the Yoga asana practice. This pose has so much to offer. That's why it's introduced in almost every yoga class!
The Physical Benefits
- Builds quad strength
- Improves balance
- Lengthens the IT band
- Strengthens shoulders
- Opens tight hips
- Gently tones abdominals
The Energetic Benefits
- Improves mental focus
- Wakes up your natural energy
- Increases stamina
- Awakens resilience
With all these amazing benefits at hand, it's important to practice the posture properly so that we can receive them. Many of us simply see the pose and just put ourselves in the best possible replica, but here is everything you need to work on when you're in Warrior 2 Pose:
- At the top of your mat, step one leg back and wide. Drop the back heel down so the toes are facing out to the side rather than forward.
- Bending the front knee deeply, open the hip so the knee and ankle come into one line.
- Press through the outer edge of the back foot to encourage this leg to lengthen straight and the knee to straighten, as well.
- Stack your shoulders over your hips and firm the abdominals.
- With arms outstretched, spread your fingers and lengthen the back and sides of your neck.
- Find your focus (drishti) and practice keeping a strong sense of grounding in your pose.
With time, this will be a pose you can come to feel comfortable in as you build strength.
If you need more tips or are more of a visual learner, I have an entire video on this pose in my online studio thats totally free. Check it out here.
Want help with your home practice? I made something just for you. Click here to get started.